The female caller was talking so fast that I could barely make out what she was saying. She had never hired a professional landscape design company before, and in her excitement, words tumbled out like marbles from a vase:
“… everything has to be blue … not a tree but not a shrub either … I’m thinking a succulent pond … what about a privacy wall created out of annuals … could you possibly bring in butterflies …?”
OK, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but as ArtisTree’s project coordinator for landscape design projects, I have the pleasure of hearing all kinds of unique requests, and thanks to our talented design team, we exceed expectations time and again. But scheduling is also a critical factor affecting the successful completion of your design project. If you’re a homeowner contemplating a small job or full-scale renovation, keep in mind the myriad minutia and milestones that must be met to bring your vision to life, including:
- Converting your exterior site plan to a computer-aided design (CAD) drawing;
- Designing your landscape and presenting for approval;
- Ordering project materials, including plants, dirt, sod, water features, hardscapes and lighting;
- Preparing detailed plans for installation teams;
- Calling in “locates” of all utilities so wires aren’t cut;
- Rescheduling for rain delays;
- Coordinating who will be on your site during installation (this includes your dog and pet iguanas);
- More rescheduling for rain delays;
- Providing you with plenty of post-installation maintenance guidance.
There’s not a job that goes through where incidentals don’t turn out to be key drivers, so no matter which landscape company you decide to hire, be sure to ask about design AND scheduling capabilities. I’d elaborate more, but it’s raining and you know what that means!